In the lead up to the Federal Budget, the Raise the Rate for Good campaign is asking community organizations and groups to use their voice to urge the Treasurer to support an increase to income support.
We know that for many people around the country, the last few months have been the most difficult they’ve ever experienced.
Even before the recent cost-of-living crisis, people on income support were struggling to cover basic expenses. But in the last twelve months, rents have risen by about 18% and food by about 9%. People on income support are bearing the brunt of these rising costs.
We can’t afford to leave those with the least behind. That’s why in the lead up to the budget, we need you to use your voice to advocate to the Treasurer.
We’ve included all the information you need below. If you have any further questions, you can reach out to our Senior Campaigner Stacey Batterham at [email protected].
Write a letter to the Treasurer
In early May the government will hand down the federal budget. That means that right now, the Treasurer are attending meetings and reviewing briefs to decide which measures will be included.
We need to make sure that he is armed with the relevant information and feels the weight of community pressure. Can you write to the Treasurer?
In your letter you may want include:
- The name of your organisation or group, what you do, and where you are based
- Why you support an urgent increase in income support
- If you are a community service organisation, you may want to include any relevant data, anecdotes, or observations from your community
You may find these resources helpful:
- ACOSS policy brief outlining the case for increasing income support: https://www.acoss.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2023/02/Addressing-inadequacy-of-income-support-2023-final.pdf
- A map showing the rates of income support by electorate: https://pip.maps.arcgis.com/apps/instant/interactivelegend/index.html?appid=13c486b6ed024a43be54355fafe605eb
How to send your letter:
- Postal address: Unit 2A, Logan Central Plaza 38-74 Wembley Road Logan Central, QLD, 4114
- Email: you can send it directly via email to [email protected]